Requirements and Grading

This course is heavily based on reading and discussing the assigned texts, as well as writing assignments. In a nutshell: there are no exams in this course; instead, students will be graded on the following elements:

Class Participation: (20%) Class participation will be based on your attendance, your overall contribution to the discussion, and how prepared you are to engage with the class and subject matter. You should expect to join in all classroom activities and any class discussions.

Paying attention to lectures, visual media, AND completing your reading assignments are thus vital to your ability to participate with your classmates.

• Included in your class participation grade, may be class quizzes or homework. Quizzes/homework will be administered at any given time throughout the course. They will usually cover assigned readings and assignments. You will have 5 to 10 minutes to complete the quiz and turn in for a grade. If you arrive after a quiz or leave before a quiz, there are no make-ups. If you arrive late and a quiz is already in progress, you will only have the remaining time to complete it. You will be allowed to drop your lowest quiz

Discussion Groups/Assignments: (10%) Each student will be assigned a discussion group. Discussion groups will meet each to discuss the people, events, themes, and readings of the week to connect it to a current event article. Each group will produce a one-page document summarizing their collective findings or other final product listed in instructions.

Museum Object Assignment: (15%) The Walters Gallery (Baltimore) or Freer (DC) Visual Analyses Both the Walters Art Museum and the Freer Gallery in DC have excellent collections of Islamic art objects and manuscripts. You will choose one object—an object on view in the galleries—and write a 3-page analysis of it. Detailed instructions will be handed out in class. (due 10 October)

* If you are unable to get to a museum, there is a virtual option available but that needs to be approved first.

Historical Analysis Assignments: (10% each; 3 total) The purpose of these assignments is to help you better engage you with your sources and aid in studying. All assignments are 1-2 pages and must include at least one primary source and one secondary source. ALL SOURCES MUST BE CITED.

• Assignment #1 (pick one): Describe the geography and environment of the Middle East. How did this shape the nature of states in Late Antiquity? What role did geography and environment play in the events of the Arab conquests? OR How does the biography of the Prophet Muḥammad take on religious and legal importance in the first three centuries of Islam? What challenges does this pose for historians? How did early Muslim scholars tackle these challenges? OR Can the medieval Islamic world be said to constitute a cohesive civilization? What elements of similarity can be found across the broad geography that we have studied thus far in class? What differences are there? What would a traveler from one end of the Muslim world recognize at the other? (due 3 October)
  • Assignment #2 (pick one): When and how did Spain become part of the Islamic world? Why did it cease to be a part of it, and what consequences did this have? OR Compare the Arab conquests of the 7th century with the Mongol conquests of the thirteenth century. In what ways were they similar, and in what ways did they differ? Be sure to consider the cultural effects as well as military and political aspects of the conquests. OR How was the economic system of the Islamic world affected by the Age of Exploration? (due 24 October)
  • Assignment #3 (pick one): Describe the structure of the Ottoman and the Safavid militaries. How did the two evolve over time? In what ways are the two institutions similar, and in what ways do they differ? OR What were some of the significant changes to the structure of the Ottoman state that took place during the 1600s? What were the main consequences of these changes? OR Why was Napoleon’s invasion of Egypt a turning point in terms of the relationship between Europe and the Middle East? What is the significance of this event? (due 14 November)

Final Project: (25%) Each student is required to produce a course project.

This project requires you to demonstrate your knowledge of the Middle East from Pre-Islamic Arabia through the 20th century. You will need to recall information, summarize, and draw conclusions on what you believe to be the most important events during this time period.

Your project will consist of three parts: a timeline, paragraphs for each events, and a paragraph explaining what you believe to be the most significant event in Middle Eastern History. The project spans the length of what we have addressed this semester. You may focus on any events, people, places, or eras addressed this semester. Be sure to read all the instructions (located under the Final project portion of our website)

______

Paper Format Work should be double-spaced with one-inch margins on all sides. Use a 12-point Font in Times Roman. Center the title of the work, then double space and begin with the paper text. Follow standard rules for grammar.

Though we are learning to write like Historians, I am not requiring you to learn the Chicago Citation Style. If you choose to experiment with Chicago Style, I will not count down for errors. Please see the Chicago Manual of Style for more information.

If you are not using Chicago, all papers must be formatted using MLA. Please review the MLA Guide for information about quoting references and adding a Works Cited page on a separate sheet at the end of your paper to list source information. I will grade for correct use of style, if you choose to use MLA.

For each full page of text, your last name, and the page number should go in an upper right corner header. Example: Last Name – 2.

Grading Standards

C is the average expected performance of a college student.  To receive a C you must complete all readings and assignments on time, demonstrate a basic knowledge of the material and write clearly and competently (all assignments must be well organized and follow the rules of correct spelling and grammar).  To receive a B your work must be substantially better than average. To receive an A your work must be truly exceptional, NOT given for simply following directions.

Grades will be calculated as follows:

A    = 100% to 93%, or 4.00 B-   = 82% to 80%, or 2.67 D  = 60% to  66%, or 1.0
A-   = 92% to 90%, or 3.67 C+  = 79% to 77%, or 2.33 F  =  below 60%
B+  = 89% to 87%, or 3.33 C    = 76% to 72%, or 2.00         and receives no credit
B    = 86% to 83%, or 3.00 C-   = 72% to 70%, or 1.67

Please note that to receive a passing grade for this course, all work must be completed and handed in.  If you fail to turn in papers or projects, do not complete an assignment, or do not participate in class (in some manner)*, you will not receive a passing grade no matter what your other grades have been throughout the course.

* I understand that some of us are shy. If you are uncomfortable in speaking in class or in your discussion group, please make an effort to contact me through office hours to ensure your participation grade stays at a passing level.